Men's Golf Drops Finale

By Adam J. Epstein

The Harvard men's golf team closed out its 1986 campaign yesterday with a 383-395 loss to a stong Dartmouth squad. The visiting Crimson finished its season with a 5-5 record--its second best mark in the last five years.

Although Harvard lost by 12 shots, Pat Barry said that "we had a reasonable day. It's exam period and we haven't been playing much."

Pat Kenary also gave credit to the Big Green. "We had a decent average score of 79, but that's not going to win you anything against a good team."

John Pickett lead Harvard by shooting an 18-hole total of 77, while Kenary and Mike McGowan each shot a 79. Tom Aucamp, John Beizer, Barry, and Dan Mahoney also competed for the Crimson.

The Harvard golf team fell short of its pre-season expectations this year. "[Our record] was kind of disappointing because we had a much better team that last year," Kenary said. "We had our top three coming back and two others who are just as good."

The players are optimistic about next season, as co-captains Ian Bickley and Mike McGowan are the only team members who will be lost to graduation in June. Most of the returning golfers are sophomores and freshmen.

The high point of the season for the Crimson was the Ivy League Championships last month. After two rounds, Harvard was in third place but within striking distance. But in the third round, the Crimson faltered and finished in a fourth place tie. Princeton won the tournament, and Dartmouth finished second.