Homeless

From Our Readers

By Laura K. Abel

To the Editors of the Crimson:

I would like to clarify my comments in regard to the Leverett House homeless issue that were published in the February 5 edition of The Crimson. First of all, the article does not directly note the fact that my views are quite the opposite of the points noted in the quotation. I had been asked to describe my perceptions of the attitudes of others in the house.

I personally view the homeless situation as a tragic result of our society, and would hope that our nation will continue to focus creative energies to solve the problem. My fear is that a great number of students do not share that concern, but regard the issue as a case of media overkill that is a needless burden on the Leverett students.

Still, there is also a considerable amount of caring, concern, and positive action on the part of many Leverett residents directly resulting from the grate incident. Also, I in no way view the issue as "silly" or minor.

Please continue your coverage of the issue, but focus your efforts on the plight of the homeless and not on the political bickering between and amongst students and administrators. Eric A. Berman '88