Time for Hard-Line Diplomacy

By Michael J. Lartigue

The nation's number-one ranked Harvard men's squash team will face its toughest match at Hemenway Gymnasium tonight, when the undefeated racquetmen host the number-three ranked Franklin and Marshall team at 7 p.m.

"It's going to be a fun and competitive match," said Franklin and Marshall junior Adam Packard, the squad's number nine player. "I think it's the first difficult match for both teams."

The Crimson is currently riding a 51-game winning streak, and has notched four straight shut-outs to open the season with a 4-0 mark.

Last year, the racquetmen turned the match into a rout, whipping the Diplomats, 7-2, at Lancaster, Pa.--but this year's F & M team is looking forward to a more competitive match against the Crimson.

"This is Franklin and Marshall's strongest team ever," Diplomat Head Coach Bill Marshall said. "Beating Harvard, especially at home, is a formidable challenge for us. Harvard has a great tradition, and a great team."

Franklin and Marshall has a tradition of its own. Harvard turned 350 this past year; the Diplomats are celebrating their 200th birthday Saturday.

Home Sweet Home

"It's going to be a close match," Harvard Co-Captain Darius Pandole said. "But I think we have an added advantage playing on our home court."

The last time the Crimson lost a home game was February 6, 1982; that loss triggered its current 51 game winning streak.

"I'm just looking forward to the opportunity to compete against them," Harvard Co-Captain Joe Dowling said. "They are capable of taking a match from us anywhere in the line-up."

In action Wednesday, the Crimson destroyed Williams, 10-0. The racquetmen played without their number one and two players for the third straight time this year.