Unhappy Hacker

From Our Readers

To the Editors of The Crimson:

I was rather concerned by the "Happy Hacker" column of January 7. The advice he gives regarding ResEdit is very dangerous indeed.

Though he is correct in saying that ResEdit allows one to change menus, dialog boxes, alerts and even fonts very easily, it is also somewhat risky. It is not uncommon for ResEdit to occasionally mess up. If one follows his advice, one just might destroy one's $129 Microsoft Word program.

When working with ResEdit, one should always make a backup copy. This is sometimes difficult with copy-protected software--like Microsoft Word. However, utility programs such as CopyIIMac and HardDiskUtil make this possible.

Finally, I submit that the Happy Hacker should try reading the manual. The example he gave was to change the Microsoft Word menu to allow command-key sequences--like hitting command-B to change to bold. Microsoft Word already has key sequences for changing the font to bold, along with just about every other command you could hope for. Another solution is to purchase a program called Tempo, which allows you to recall both key-strokes and mouse movements by hitting a command key.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Robert Sturim '87   Ken Rudin '87