Phoenix Applies to Rent Basement to Record Store

The Phoenix-SK Club has filed a proposal with the city to rent its basement space to a record store.

The record store, Festoon's, would move from its current location on Massachussetts Ave. near Harvard Square to the Phoenix's Mt. Auburn location.

Since the Phoenix is located in a residential area, the opening of a retail store must gain approval from the Cambridge Planning Board. The proposal will be reviewed at a public hearing on January 20.

The plan must also gain the approval of the Cambridge Historical Commission. A spokesman at the commission said yesterday that they had no objection to the plans at this time, but they would "review the store's plans for any exterior changes." He stated that the commission's role was to ensure that there were no "inappropriate architecturalalterations" made to the building.

Buddy Fletcher '87, president of the PhoenixClub, could not be reached for comment.

In recent years, the nine all-male final clubshave faced heavier tax burdens and financialdifficulties. Some clubs, including the Spee Club,located in the block next to the Phoenix, haverented out space to merchants to help generatemore income.

Chris Walker, an employee at Festoon's saidthat the company hoped to move some time nextmonth, pending approval from the city. The movewould represent a step up for the store, movingfrom its 500 sq. ft. location to the basement ofthe Phoenix which is almost twice that size.Festoon's buys, sells and trades new and usedrecords