Bookie Sentenced

BOSTON--Joseph A. Gialanella of North Andover, alleged to be Boston's top bookmaker, has been sentenced to three months in federal prison for tax evasion, according to U.S. District Court officials.

Federal Judge Rya W. Zobel also ordered Gialanella, 39, to pay a $12,000 fine Thursday. In addition to his three-month sentence, Gialanella was ordered to serve three months under house arrest and three years probation.

Gialanella pleaded guilty July 10 to attempting to evade his 1980 and 1981 income taxes. Assistant U.S. Attorney Peter Mullin said Gialanella failed to report $199,000 in income for those two years and evaded $72,000 in federal income taxes.

"All the unreported income was the result of his bookmaking business, Mullin said.

Gialanella was originally arrested in 1982 in a raid at his sports betting headquarters in a Malden condominium he owned, Mullin said. He was indicted last April and has been out on bail since then.

While under house arrest Gialanella, who is married, will be restricted to his home except to go to religious services or medical appointments, Mullin said.