Three Students at MIT Commit October Suicides

By Sophia VAN Wingerden

Two MIT graduate students and one undergraduate committed suicide this month in three separate incidents, leaving no clues to explain their actions.

Although results of investigations into the deaths are still pending, administrators have "for all intents and purpose acknowledged [the deaths] as suicides," said Robert M. Randolph, associate dean of student affairs at MIT.

On October 2, senior Jeffrey W. Liedman, a 22-year-old mechanical engineering major, was found hanging in the bedroom of his off-campus apartment.

The following day, first-year graduate student Kent D. Anderson jumped from a sixth-or seventh-level balcony atthe Hyatt Regency Hotel, said Robert C. DiIorio,associate director of the MIT News Office.

And last Thursday, third-year graduate studentThomas F. Trobaugh was found dead--the cause ofdeath apparently suicide--in the basement of hisSomerville home.

"On the average, there is no more than one[suicide] a year [at MIT]," said Randolph, who hasworked at the university for nine years.

After the second suicide, the president of MITand the dean of students sent a letter to each ofthe more than 10,000 graduate and undergraduatestudents. Randolph said the letter suggested "aneed for more sensitivity" and "in general, beingsure we're listening to each other."

Randolph said the deaths have puzzled thecommunity because "there was nothing in terms ofsuicide notes. There is a scarcity of informationthat is just deadening," he said.

Two of the suicide victims lived off-campus,and the third had been living in a graduatestudent dormitory only since the beginning of theschool year, Randolph said.

"For the most part, except for the peopleaffected, the response hasn't been that extreme,"said one MIT senior, who added, "Most studentsjust continue going on."

Randolph said that MIT may sponsor groupdiscussions on stress reduction. In addition,deans and psychiatrists have made themselvesavailable for consultation with students, and havevisited dormitories to talk with individuals andgroups of students.

"When you have a student population of 10,000,having three suicides in a year isn't too out ofline," said MIT junior Andrew Fish