Starting and Scoring

Soccer's David Kramer

The odds of a forward without any varsity experience cracking the starting lineup of Harvard's NCAA Final Four men's soccer team are slim.

With three top players returning in the same position, the odds shrink even more.

But Harvard sophomore Dave Kramer is a betting man.

Returning from a foot injury suffered last year, Kramer is not only a starter, but is already the Crimson's leading scorer with four goals and one assist this season.

"I had no expectations coming into the season," Kramer said. "I've never had varsity experience before."

As Harvard heads into this Saturday's Ivy League showdown with Cornell, Kramer is now looked to shoulder a lot of the scoring burden--especially since forward Derek Mills, last year's leading scorer, has not yet returned to full strength.

"[Kramer] is a composed young man, a leader, and very mature," Harvard Coach Mike Getman said. "He's got a knack for scoring."

Kramer's knack to score was most evident in Harvard's 8-0 triumph over Brandeis earlier this season. The sophomore forward scored three goals in a span of six minutes before sitting out the rest of the game.

But Kramer doesn't view his role as the team's dominant goal scorer.

"[Harvard is a] team of great players without any really dominating one," he said. "We can look to any of several players to make a big play for us."

Kramer's size and speed have been a big reason why Harvard remains undefeated this season Six-feet, one-Harbor, N.Y., is quick in the front inch tall, the native of Cold Spring field and tall enough to be an inviting target for the midfielders' centering passes. His most exciting talent is his ability to change his pace and fool defenders.

"He can suddenly speed up to beat a player and score," said Harvard forward Nick D'Onofrio.

For the 4-0-2 Crimson booters, Kramer has not only been the team's critical big scorer, but also one of the team's leaders and motivational players. Despite a coaching change and nagging injuries to Captain Mark Pepper, Mills, and junior back Gian D'Ornellas, the Crimson has maintained an unbeaten record.

"He is playing extremely well," Getman noted of Kramer, "and he has played well each and every game throughout the preseason and the regular season."

The Four

Kramer is one of four talented forwards for the Crimson, joining D'Onofrio, Mills, and senior Ken Ruoff on the frontline. Having four forwards has been a good problem for Getman in terms of depth, but a tough one in terms of finding playing time for everybody. To help alleviate the logjam, Getman started three forwards instead of the normal two Tuesday night during Harvard's 1--0 double overtime win over Boston College.

Whether using a two or three-man line, Kramer and company will be eyeing a repeat trip to the NCAA Championships--a long shot for any team.

But remember, David Kramer is a betting man.