Harvard Phi Beta Kappa Inductees Announced

By Theodore D. Chuang

The arrival of December traditionally brings cold weather, holiday television specials, and overcrowded shopping malls. At Harvard, the elections of seniors to Phi Beta Kappa also grace the final month of the year.

As is customary, 48 seniors--24 men and 24 women--were elected this week to the Phi Beta Kappa chapters for Harvard and Radcliffe. The organization is "designed to recognize academic achievement," said John M. Glazer '88, First Undergraduate Marshal for the Alpha (Harvard) Chapter of Massachusetts.

The Harvard and Radcliffe Chapters each elected twelve members from the Class of 1988 last spring. These members, known as the "Junior Twelves" were the election committee this term for the "Senior 24" to Phi Beta Kappa.

The Harvard and Radcliffe committees each nominated 48 seniors based on grade point average. They then selected the new members after examining transcripts and faculty recommendations.

Phi Beta Kappa will elect another group from the Class of 1988 in the spring. Those selections could increase membership to as much as ten percent of the class, Glazer said.

Although new members were generally pleased with their election, many downplayed the significance of the honor.

George C. Cheng '88 said, "It's a pleasant surprise to receive it, but it's no big thing." "It wasn't really a goal of mine," said Lisa M. Roseff '88.

Sophia L. De Chiazza '88 said that her parents were more excited than her. "I guess the most joy I get out of it is that it made people who care about me very happy," she said.

"A friend of mine is one of the Junior 12, and it was a big thing to him because his parents had promised him a Maserati if he made it," said new member J. Peter Wagner '88, "No one's promised me a Maserati, but it's still a nice thing."

The Harvard Senior 24 are: Ahmed M. Abou-Zamen, Cheng, Constantine N. Costes, Aaron DiAntonio, Paul T. Donohoe, Alexander E. Dreier, Andrew R. Elby, Jonathan L. Feng, Raymond S. Flournoy, Steven J. Frucht, Handel, Daniel L. Hurewitz, Steven Joffe, Joshua M. Kosowsky, Joshua Lee, Mark H. Levine, William G. Malley, Kevin P. Moriarty, Robert R. Noyer, Andrew J. Powell, Gary D. Rowe, Wagner, Jonathan S. Weissman, and Samuel S. Wu.

The Radcliffe Senior 24 are: Jane S. Avrich, Jeanne D. Bachelor, Carolyn R. Bertozzi, Phyllidia A. Burlingame, Audrey Choi, Amy E. Colson, De Chiazza, Julia Dubner, Carol A. Ensalaco, M. Zita Ezpeleta, Mary T. Giliberti, Kathleen T. Hogan, Vesna Karaklajic, Canan Karateklin, Charlene Kwok, Amy Lai, Caroline W. Neal, Anna E. Plauth, Anne T. Robinson, Roseff, Patricia A. Schoor, Andrea Shen, Miryam B. Silverman, and Lori M. Wiviott.