Scalise Announces Resignation

Soccer, Lacrosse Coach Headed to B-School

By Jennifer M. Frey

Bob Scalise, coach of both the Harvard men's lacrosse and women's soccer teams, has announced that he will resign from his coaching positions at the conclusion of this spring's lacrosse season.

After coaching a total of 23 seasons at Harvard--13 as head of men's lacrosse and 10 with the women's soccer program--Scalise is leaving in order to attend Harvard Business School next fall.

"It was really tough to decide, but I wanted to explore my other opportunities," Scalise said. "I didn't know if I really wanted to coach another 20 years. I decided to try and get the background for business."

But the decision wasn't nearly as difficult as telling the current members of his two teams.

"It was really hard telling the team," Scalise said. "It was a lot more emotional than I thought it would be."

Surprise

Scalise met with the team members in private Monday night. Players said they were "shocked and dumbfounded," as the announcement was totally unexpected.

"It came as a complete shock," lacrosse Captain Ben Nye said, "but at the same time we were all really impressed. Being accepted to the Business School is a big accomplishment."

"His coaching just kept getting better," Nye continued. "He is leaving at the top."

Scalise recorded an 88-75 record during his 13 seasons as lacrosse coach at Harvard, and an amazing 113-38-11 mark as head of the women's soccer program.

"He was a really consistent and steady person when it came to controlling the team," said freshman Jen Gifford, who played soccer under Scalise this past fall. "I really respect him."

"I'm going to miss him," junior Brian McGinley said. "He gives 100 percent to the [men's lacrosee] team, and it makes us want to give 100 percent back."