Two Cents Wurf

Crimson Dreams Jolted at the Joe

By Nick Wurf, Special to The Crimson

DETROIT--There will be no regrets this time.

A year ago, after losing to Michigan State, 6-5, in the NCAA championship game, the Harvard men's hockey team still felt it was the best in the country.

Number one.

This year, the Crimson set out to prove itself to everyone, set out to take the title for real.

But last night, Harvard's redemption train was ambushed by the Fighting Sioux of the University of North Dakota.

After losing, 5-2, the Crimson came away with the unmistakable impression that the number-one ranked team in the country was, well, number one.

Harvard didn't play well last night, make no mistake about it. But don't underestimate the Sioux. General Custer did that.

UND sophomore center Tony Hrkac will claim the 1987 Hobey Baker Award today as college hockey's most valuable player. It's a well deserved honor.

Each of his four points last night established a new NCAA single-season scoring record, and when the final horn sounded, Hrkac's unbelievable mark stood at 115 points.

North Dakota's triumph last night not only propelled the Sioux into tomorrow's final--it also made them the winningest NCAA hockey team ever.

Another Scalping

Harvard was the 39th scalp for UND, breaking the NCAA mark established by the 1984-'85 Michigan State edition.

The winningest team in Harvard history only won 28 games.

And that team plays for number 29 tomorrow afternoon. Crimson Coach Bill Cleary and his seniors said last night that the "Jolting at the Joe" won't blemish one of Harvard's finest seasons ever.

Losing to the Sioux is not a disgrace, Cleary and Co. said.

And it wasn't. With Hrkac, Bob Joyce and hot freshman goaltender Ed Belfour, UND is an odds-on favorite to wrap up number 40--and number one--tomorrow night.

No disgrace at all.

Just a lot of pain and disappointment.

Fighting Sioux, 5-2 at Joe Louis Arena Harvard (28-5)  0-0-2--2 North Dakota (39-8)  1-3-1--5

First Period--1, ND, Brent Bobyck 7 (Tony Hrkac, Mike LaMoine) 10:17. Penalties--Scott Koberinski, ND, (tripping) 15:40.

Second Period--2, ND, Bob Joyce 51 (Hrkac, Steve Johnson) 8:42; 3, ND, Hrkac 46 (Joyce) 12:37; 4, ND, Mickey Krampotich 27 (Johnson, Lee Davidson) 17:57. Penalties--Butch Cutone, H, (holding) 8:30; Don Sweeney, H, (high-sticking) 11:50; Malcolm Parks, ND, (high-sticking) 11:50; Tod Hartje, H, (roughing) 14:48.

Third Period--5, H, Allen Bourbeau 23 (unassisted) 3:02; 6, ND, Johnson 26 (Hrkac, Davidson) 10:13; 7, H, Tim Barakett 25 (Steve Armstrong) 12:29. Penalties--Tom Benson, ND, (high-sticking) 6:07; Nick Carone, H, (high-sticking) 9:11.

Saves--H, Dickie McEvoy, 6-14-9--29; ND, Ed Belfour, 11-13-13--37.

A--7526

Tonight, Michigan State faces off against Minnesota in the second semifinal of the NCAA Tournament. The winner will play North Dakota in the finals tomorrow night.