Aquawomen Split Contests

By Alvar J. Mattei

Last night, Emily Ozer redefined the expression "standing out in a crowd." She did not wear the brand new bathing suits issued to the Harvard women's water polo team since most of the suits came in sizes too small.

As a result, she wore a white suit while everyone else wore black.

But Ozer distinguished herself by scoring seven goals and assisting on five others as Harvard split its two varsity contests in the Harvard Invitational Tournament at Blodgett Pool.

In the first game, Harvard raced out to a 5-1 first-period lead against Brown. Ozer got three of these goals and Kelly Withy added two others. Harvard won the game 12-4, allowing the fewest goals in any game of the tournament thus far.

Besides using a potent offense, Harvard played a fantastic defensive game, highlighted by a 6-on-5 defensive stand late in the third period.

In the second match against MIT--a rematch of a 10-10 tie played earlier in the season--Ozer continued her hot scoring hand in the first period, scoring her seventh goal of the tournament.

But in the second and third periods, it was teammate Withy who dominated the Crimson offense.

In the space of nine minutes, Withy scored six goals from almost every conceivable angle, including a penalty shot.

With Harvard holding a 7-3 lead with under eight minutes left in the game, the game appeared all but over. MIT, however, did not want to give up.

When MIT score its fifth straight goal on Lisa Freed's length-of-the-pool pass following a 35-second shot clock violation, MIT had taken the lead, 8-7.

The Crimson looked to Withy once again and she responded with her seventh goal of the game with 47 seconds remaining in the game to tie the game at eight.

But Jenny Snyder scored her third goal of the game 25 seconds later to seal the MIT victory.