Clubs Cater to a School of Joiners

By Heather R. Mcleod

Have you ever wondered exactly what the OK society is?

Well, don't worry. You're in good company. Although the OK society is one of the approximately 200 student groups listed on the roster of officially recognized student organizations, even those in the OK Society don't know what it is.

"To the best of our knowledge, it doesn't even exist," says John S. Weissman '88, roommate of Daniel Wright '88, who is listed as the contact person for the club. Weissman says that although the club has gotten Wright invited to a number of Undergraduate Council parties, neither he nor Wright knows quite what the club is supposed to be or how it came to be included--with Wright's name--on the official list of student groups.

But with the plethora of clubs on the list, surely a little confusion is to be expected. A student interested in the Caribbean, computers or Classics can join an organization specifically tailored to suit his needs, and if not, he can begin one. In the last 15 years, the number of clubs on campus has nearly tripled and many esoteric groups have sprung up where none had existed before.

"We're a nation of joiners," says Dean of Students Archie C. Epps, who attributes the increasing number and diversity of Clubs on campus to a variety of causes.

According to Epps, when he first came to the college in 1971, there were only approximately 70 student organizations on campus. Today the number has reached 190, not counting approximately 100 house organizations.

"One thing I find here is that students can find what's suited to their interests because there are so many different groups," Says Jack W. Tsao '87, Former president of Model Congress.

Epps says he feels this dramatic increase in student groups was brought on partially by the radical movements of the 1960s and early 1970s. "In the 1960s and 1970s, undergraduate energies went into a limited number of activities--mainly political activities and organizations," he says.

But now, following a decrease in political activism, an environment has been created "in which students are pursuing a wider range of activities," Epps says. Previous to the 1960s activism, Epps says, most students either participated in "traditional organizations, or were basically observers."

David Riesman '31, professor of sociology emeritus, says the 1960s brought on a counter-culture movement, offering special interest groups the "freedom to begin expressing" themselves. According to the official list of student organizations, ethnic and special interest groups comprise approximately a third--67 out of 184--of student groups.

David Michael '87, the former chairman of the Student Advisory Committee at the Institute of Politics agrees with Riesman, saying that "the activism of the 1960s and 1970s set a precedent" for increased student involvement in special interest groups.

Others say they think society is more apt to listen to these groups today. "I think that young people today feel as if they can make a difference. We're in a position where society takes us seriously," says Zoher Ghogawala '87, president of the Cynthia Stanton Memorial Cancer Council.

In fact, Riesman says, students may join a special interest group precisely because they know they will be taken seriously. He says, "Students may be more active now in an effort to reject an image of themselves as only being interested in themselves."

The emeritus professor adds, however, that he is not denying that some students join groups for altruistic motives and because "they want to stretch beyond themselves and help other people." Currently, more than 15 groups on campus focus on serving the community, from the century-old Phillips Brooks House--which now has almost 900 members and 25 sub-committees-- to groups focusing no specific community issues.

The Student Health Advisory Council (SHAC) was founded about seven years ago to provide a liaison between University Health Services (UHS) and educate Harvard undergraduates about health issues. A similar group, the Cynthia Stanton Memorial Cancer Council, founded two years ago, aims to increase "awareness on campus of health issues," says Ghogawala. The group works closely with the American Cancer Society, bringing health--education to nearby residential areas, he says.

Not only did the 1960s spur students into joining community causes, but it witnessed a counter-culture movement which translated into "a reaction against homogenity and a desire for distinctiveness," Riesman says.

Other groups arose as Harvard became more diverse. Mary K. Moreland '88, president of American Indians at Harvard, says the club was founded in the early 1970s shortly after Harvard began admitting a distinguishable number of American Indians. She says there has been an increase in ethnic clubs on campus because "Harvard has become committed to diversity, and having different races on campus."

With the increased diversity, many students today say, belonging to a cultural or ethnic club helps them retain a sense of cultural identity and share cultural awareness with other students.

"When you first come to Harvard, you feel alienated, and it's natural for you to search for a groups that you can identify with," says Rosa G. Rios '87, president of Ballet Folklorico de Azatlan, which performs dance concerts several times during the year, and last year founded the annual cultural festival.

"It's important to retain your cultural identity, to retain your tradition and then share it with others. Part of the Harvard experience is learning from all kinds of people and learning about their cultures," Rios says.

Andrew S. T. So '87, who helped to found the Hong Kong Club last year, says cultural clubs can help "people to become more aware about how diverse the United States' Society is."

But diversity is not restricted to ethnic background. Students also join groups with others who share common experiences.

According to Bradley H. Boyer '87, Friends of ROTC was founded three years ago for ROTC students to get together, hear speakers on relevant issues, and "make their presence known in a positive way. We're similar to any other special interest groups on campus," Boyer says.

Matthew Bank '87, president of the Gay and Lesbian Students Association (GLSA)--founded in 1971--says, "We provide a friendly atmosphere where gay and lesbian students can meet and feel free to be themselves." The GSLA now has around 40 active members and is working to educate the community about gay and lesbian issues.

Filling the Niche

Many clubs are formed to meet a perceived gap in the roster of organizations on campus.

Tsao said he helped found Model Congress last year because, although there was a Model United Nations, there was "no organization which simulated the United States Government on campus." This year the Model Congress held their second annual conference where they helped high school student from all over the country simulate a congressional session.

The recently-founded computer Society was also created to fill a niche. Former president of the club, Joseph A. Konstan '87, says the club was formed four years ago when several students realized "there was no organization on campus to get information about computers from." The Society now has about 300 members, coordinates several computer shows each year, and publishes the monthly Harvard Computer Review.

But not every club was formed in the past 15 years. Some organizations are approaching their centennial anniversaries, particularly those that cater to students' hobbies, such as singing groups or publications. The flying club, founded in 1910, still helps students obtain their pilots' licenses.

The Outing Club--now in its 40th year--provides many opportunities to get away from it all and "inevitably have a good time", says President Jon D. Leighton '88. The club coordinates hiking, biking, snowshoeing, or kayaking trips.

Founded around 1915, the wireless club takes pride in being the first in the country, says President Richard G. Listerud '87. The approximately 15 club members use radios kept in a "club shack" at the Office of Career Services to transmit messages around the globe.

"However archaic it may sound, there is a uniqueness to all of these people knowing the code," Listerud says in defense of what some might consider an out-dated form of communication.

However, the bottom line behind the increase of clubs may lie in a change in student's attitudes, Tsao says. "Students are finding more time to participate because they're making the time, even if sometimes their classes have to suffer."

And then there are the clubs that aren't. One student, who asked to remain anonymous, says he created a club just to have the rights to post notices around campus. "But don't tell Dean Epps," he says.