Field Hockey

By Julio R. Varela

In last year's Harvard-Providence field hockey game, the Crimson used a comeback-style offensive attack in the second half but failed to score a goal. Providence captured a 1-0 victory.

When the Crimson visited Providence Saturday to face the top-ranked team in New England, it followed a similar approach. This time, Harvard scored, but the final result--a Friar victory--was the same.

After netting two early goals, the Friars managed to stem off a second-half Crimson comeback and secure a 2-1 victory. The loss, Harvard's second straight, dropped the squad's record to 1-2.

"We just put on a lot of pressure [in the second half]," Harvard Tri-Captain Jane Grim said, "and thought we were going to score."

Harvard's chances to tie the game looked good when Nicole Simourian scored the team's only goal on a cross ball from Sharon Landau, who was outside the circle.

Yet, even though Harvard outshot the Friars in the second half, Providence goalie Sandra O'Gorman continually kept the ball out of the circle, denying the Crimson valuable scoring opportunites.

Although Harvard has lost to two of the tougher teams in New England (Northeastern and Providence), Grim said she still thinks the squad is improving with each game.

"We're getting our teamwork together," Grim said. "In this game, we were passing more, which is the way we are used to playing. As opposed to the Northeastern game, we concentrated more on our game."

The Crimson will now set its sights on one of the most pivotal weeks of the season. On Wednesday, the stickwomen will visit nationally-ranked Connecticut (the 1985 NCAA Champion) for the last of their four consecutive road games.

On Saturday, Harvard will start its Ivy League schedule when it hosts two-time defending Ivy League champion Penn at Soldiers Field. Last year, the Quakers shut out the Crimson, 4-0, in Philadelphia.

"Our main focus is on Penn," Harvard Tri-Captain Kate Felsen said, "but it's always great to upset a team like UConn. The key is to score early and set the pace of the game."

If the Crimson can accomplish that, it can avoid having to travel the comeback trail.