Consoled

W. Ruggers Down Dartmouth

By Casey J. Lartigue jr.

For once, the consolation match of a tournament truly offered consolation to a squad.

While the Radcliffe rugby club had hoped for a first or second place finish in the Mayor's Cup Tournament held last weekend in Allston, Mass., the squad was still pleased about its comeback victory over arch-rival Dartmouth, 8-6, in the consolation final.

"Overall, it was a good tournament, we played really well," Co-Captain Cheri Silvera said. "It's always great when we beat Dartmouth."

While the Black and White defeated an old rival, it may have made a new one.

Radcliffe was defeated in the second round of the tournament by Williams College, 4-0, in sudden-death overtime Saturday.

"After the tournament," rugger Anne Moon said, "the whole team had the feeling we could beat Williams."

Radcliffe will get its chance in two weeks when it hosts Williams.

The Black and White opened the tournament by defeating the University of New Hampshire, 3-0, for the second time in two weeks. Radcliffe topped the Wildcats, 13-6, two weeks ago in New Hampshire.

Penalty Kick

Co-Captain Eliza Schwarz scored the only points of the game, booting a penalty kick on the muddy field midway through the first half.

After defeating UNH, the ruggers advanced to the next round and its match with Williams. Although Radcliffe controlled the game's action, it was unable to score.