Alumni Office Announces Class of 1989 Marshals

Harvard seniors have elected Rushika Fernandopulle '89 of Quincy House and Virginia Stimpson '89 of Lowell House as first marshals for the class of 1989, the Harvard Alumni Association announced yesterday.

Fernandopulle, Stimpson and six other marshals will direct class social activities throughout the year and later as alumni. Seniors chose the two from 16 finalists selected earlier this month. One hundred and six students originally contended for the position.

First marshals--who serve as co-chairmen of the Class Committee--coordinate fund-raising and plan senior activities with Harvard and Radcliffe's alumni associations. After Commencement, marshals are expected to organize reunions and other events for their class.

In selecting the marshals, seniors rank their choices for first marshal. The "preferential" voting process takes into account not only how many "first choice" votes a candidate gets, but also the number and rank of that person as an alternate choice. Seniors can vote for as many candidates as they like.

"I hope [the class can] work as a whole unit and not just me and Rushika," said Stimpson. Stimpson said she is considering starting a newsletter to keep the class informed.

And Fernandopulle said he intends to focus on a successful Class Day. "Class Day is one of the few things that the whole class does that is very important."

Other 1989 Harvard marshals, in order of election, are: Mihail S. Lari, Jose F. Sanchez and Jaikumar Ramaswamy. Radcliffe elected Nancy M. Lutz, Vivian Y. Hunt and Lori B. Rutter.

This is not the first time that several minority students have been made marshals. Last year, both Harvard's and Radcliffe's first marshals were Black.