Michael S. Dukakis

ARMS CONTROL:

Dukakis has called SDI a "fantasy," but said he would allocate about $1 billion a year for research, to be ready to respond to any Soviet advances. He opposes both the MX and Midgetman missiles, but supports the B-1 bomber and the Stealth bomber.

CENTRAL AMERICA:

Dukakis opposes aid to the rebels in Nicaragua, and has denounced the Reagan Administration's Central American policy as a "fiasco." Dukakis advocates a multilateral approach, joining Central American leaders, to resolve the region's conflicts. He has also been critical of the Reagan Administration's relationship with Panama Gen. Manuel Antonio Noriega.

THE BUDGET DEFICIT:

To reduce the budget deficit, Dukakis favors numerous spending cuts, including the reduction of federal subsidies to grain farmers. He also hopes to reap billions of dollars owed to the government in taxes, with his Revenue Enforcement Program.

TAXES

Dukakis said he hopes not raise taxes because of his rigorous Revenue Enforcement Program, which he says will yield billions of dollars in unpaid taxes to the Federal government.

GUN CONTROL:

Dukakis supports toughers gun control legislation, and would outlaw "Saturday night specials," the inexpensive, easily concealed weapon used in many crimes. However, Dukakis favors the ownership of weapons by hunters and others who want to keep firearms to protect their homes or businesses.

DRUGS:

Dukakis favors improved drug education and a meeting of Western Hemisphere political leaders to discuss the drug problem. He also said he would cut off foreign aid to Governments that refuse to cooperate on drug policy.

ABORTION:

Dukakis is personally opposed to abortions, but feels that the decision rests with the woman, and abortions should be legal. He supports federal financing of abortions for poor women.

AIDS:

Dukakis supports federal funding for research and education of AIDS, and proposed spending an additional $1 billion. Dukakis favors limited testing for AIDS, including prisoners and military personnel.