Thinclads Triumph Over Eagles; Crimson Dominates First Meets

The Harvard men's and women's indoor track teams began their winter season Saturday at the Gordon Track and Tennis Center with impressive victories over Boston College.

The men defeated the Eagles, 82-54, while the women triumphed, 108-19.

"I thought we would win but not by as much as we did," Harvard Coach Frank Haggerty said. "We had a lot of freshmen out there in their first college competition, and they performed remarkably well."

Freshman Christine Roberge led the Crimson women to its easy victory over B.C. The Eagles managed only two victories all day--the 200- and the 3000-meter races.

Roberge had an excellent day, winning the 55-meter high hurdles in 8.68 seconds, the long jump with a mark of 18-ft., 1-in. The freshman ended her performance in the high jump by leaping 5-ft., 4-in., good enough for another first-place finish.

Other highlights for the women included Meredith Rainey's 400-meter victory in 56.01 seconds, Cathy Griffin's top shot put throw of 42-ft., 2-in. and 20-lb. weight throw of 44-ft., 8-in. Danielle Fulgini took the 800-meter race with a time of 2:15.63.

The Men

Despite the superb effort of B.C.'s Ken Moody, who won all three jumping events, the Crimson men captured seven of the 12 running events to earn enough points for the victory.

Harvard's top finishers were freshman Derrick Horner, who placed second in both the 55-meter dash in 6.49 seconds and the long jump with an effort of 22 ft., 9 1/2-in., and Captain Don LaVigne, who won the 400-meter race in 50.02 seconds and earned third place in the pole vault with an eight-foot jump. Both Horner and LaVigne ran for Harvard's winning mile relay.

"I think our team had a strong performance overall," LaVigne said. "It's good to be competitive this early in the season. We're looking to build and get stronger for the more important meets in February."

The Harvard squads host the Harvard Invtitational December 10 at Gordon.