Grapplers Pin Springfield, 26-18

By Sandra Block, Special to The Crimson

SPRINGFIELD, Mass.--The Harvard wrestling team likes surprises. Well, most surprises.

When the administration informed the squad that its match against Springfield, supposedly scheduled for Wednesday, would actually take place on Tuesday, the team was nonplussed, to say the least.

Translation: We're sorry, you have to make weight for tomorrow, not the next day.

After some light practices and some carefree eating following the Coast Guard tournament last weekend, the team was not enthused for the match a day early.

But despite the administration's plan, the Crimson won, and not just by a point or two, but by an admirable 26-18 score. It was the first time Harvard had defeated Springfield in six years.

So, what's wrong with this picture? Why aren't these men smiling?

Ask Tim Kierstead, in the 188-lb. weight class, who staved off his opponent, 5-3. Was he happy to win?

"Well, I felt kind of flat," Kierstead answered. "After the unexpected weigh-in last night, we had to make weight kind of quick and we had had a long weekend so we were a little bit flat as a team."

Captain Alex Konovalchik, at 190 lbs., took six points by default when his Springfield man left the mat with a bloody mouth in the first period. Konovalchik also sang the blues, hardly changing his teammate's lyrics.

"We were a little flat, I think," Konovalchik said.

Brett Jamis, at 118 lbs., fought just to hold his man down all match and finally dug out a surprise pin in the last three seconds of the match.

"Everyone is tired today and a lot of the guys, because we didn't know the match was going to be today, lifted yesterday, worked out really hard," Jamis explained. "It was a bad day for everyone."

Sam Cole pinned in the second period after a slow start, extending his undefeated record to eight matches in the 126-lb. weight class. John Willoughby, at 177 lbs., also brought home three points, finishing off his man, 8-4.

Harvard Coach Jim Peckham, like his team members, received the win luke-warmly.

"You know, everybody likes to win, but I'm kind of unhappy," Coach Peckham said. "At this meet my guys were not as crisp as they should have been."

"They're still making so many mistakes it just drives me bananas," Peckham complained.

Smack ahead of the Crimson is a quad match against New York University, the University of New Hampshire and the Worcester Polytechnic Institute.