Miracles Won't Be Enough for U.S Team

By Julio R. Varela

During the 1980's, the United States has had its moments at the Winter Olympics. Few will forget speedskater Eric Heiden's five gold medals at the 1980 Games at Lake Placid, N.Y. Or when Bill Johnson, the typical ski bum, conquered the mountains at the 1984 Games in Sarajevo, Yugoslavia.

And of course, there was the "Miracle on Ice," when the United States hockey stunned the world and captured the gold over the Russians at Lake Placid.

But for all the moments the Americans have had at the Winter Games, other countries--particularly the ones that live, breathe, and eat snow--have had it better. Like the East Germans, or the Russians. And don't forget all those Scandinavian countries.

This should be the case again in Calgary, Alberta, when the 15th version of the Winter Games commences this Saturday and runs until February 28. A brief look at the American entries:

Alpine Skiing: Johnson, although injured, will lead the American men's team, along with Gale "Tiger" Shaw and Felix McGrath. But the foreign competition, led by Switzerland's Pirmin Zurbriggen, may be too tough for the Americans.

The women, headed by Tamara McKinney and 1984 gold medalist Debbie Armstrong, might fare better than the men. But then again, the Swiss may have other ideas.

Biathlon: The Americans have never won a medal in this event. Who would want to win a medal in a "sport" that combines cross-country skiing with target practice? Except maybe Charles Bronson.

The Americans' greatest hope won't be Bronson, but Josh Thompson.

Bobsledding: The U.S. doesn't have the speed to catch up with the favored Swiss, East Germans and Russians. But can any of these teams run a curl pattern like bobsledder-track star-wide receiver Willie Gault?

Cross-Country Skiing: Another event that the Scandinavian countries dominate. Probably because it snows there all the time.

The U.S. men's and women's teams are led by Auden Endestad and Kristen Petty.

Figure Skating: The U.S. men's trio of Brian Boitano, Chris Bowman, and Harvard's Paul Wylie will be in the medal run. The women--led by Debi Thomas and Jill Trenary--are also impressive. But the 1984 gold medalist, East German Katarina Witt, is still the favorite.

Hockey: Is another miracle in the making? Yes, but it will be the host Canadiens who might topple the mighty Russians.

But this U.S. team will probably fare better than the American team that finished seventh at Sarajevo. And if the Americans can beat the Czechs--a difficult task--they just might capture the bronze.

Luge: Another event an American has never captured a medal. It's not an American pastime, but luger Duncan Kennedy certainly thinks so. He is the United States' strongest chance for a medal. Long live luge.

Nordic Combined: First, you ski jump and then you cross-country ski. A very Scadinavian thing to do. These countries are once again the favorites to sweep the medals, especially Norway's Torbjoern Loekken.

The Americans, led by Pat Ahearn, will be watching as the Russians and the Norwegians battle for top team honors.

Ski Jumping: One of the Games' most dangerous sports, the Scandinavian and Eastern Bloc countries will dominate. Mike Holland is the United States' top entry.

Speed Skating: This marks the first time the event will be held indoors, so many skaters may break Olympic records.

The American men have an Eric who will challenge. It's not Heiden, but Eric Flaim from Pembroke, Mass. The United States' strongest chance for a gold medal lies in the skates of Bonnie Blair. Blair must defeat the strong East German duo of Karin Kania and Christa Rothenburger, both 1984 gold medalists.

The Americans will have their moments at Calgary. Good news for ABC-TV and its exclusive coverage of the games. Good news for those who will be watching ABC for the next two weeks. But as in all the past Winter Games, it will take more than just another "Miracle on Ice" for the Americans to dominate the Games.

Wait until Seoul, South Korea, and the Summer Games.