Chicken Invades Yard Dorm

By Salil Kumar

Some freshmen were treated to a chicken surprise Saturday night, but it wasn't at the Union.

A live chicken weighing approximately three or four pounds was found in a box on the third floor of Weld South Hall at 10:30 p.m., said Travis A. Metz '91, who has raised chickens at home.

"Yesterday I kicked the box and found that it had some weight in it," said James H. Grosjean '91. "I didn't turn it over until today. Curiosity finally got the best of me."

Grosjean said the box had been in the dorm for three days, and it contained crackers and had airholes.

It was unclear who had left the chicken, but Weld residents came up with several explanations.

Metz said he thought the chicken was part of the festivities related to the Cornell-Harvard hockey game played Saturday night at Bright Center.

"I imagine a Cornell student brought it here." Metz said. "Whenever they're at home they tie a dead chicken to the goal posts between periods. The connection is there."

"Then again, it could be a Purdue," said his roommate, Steven L. Kuhn '91, refering to the chicken company and Big Ten school.

After being released by the Weld residents, the chicken walked around the third floor until a University police officer came to pick it up.

The officer, who refused to give his name, said he would try to get a Cambridge animal shelter to take the chicken, but since one wasn't open, he said it might be impossible.