Rep. Frank Endorses Union Organizing Drive

By Melissa R. Hart

Rep. Barney Frank '61 (D-Mass.) has endorsed the Harvard Union of Clerical and Technical Workers (HUCTW) in its battle to represent the University's support staff.

"Everything that I know about Harvard, unions in general and this union in particular, convinces me that it would be significantly to the advantage of the Harvard community if the HUCTW gained recognition as the union for [support staff members]," said Frank's endorsement letter, released yesterday.

HUCTW plans to distribute the two-page letter to all support staff members and send it to all faculty and supervisors, said Kris Rondeau, the leader of HUCTW.

Frank has spoken at two rallies supporting the union. In 1984, at a union holiday party, he coined the phrase, "It's not anti-Harvard to be pro-union," in a speech, and gave the union one of its best-known campaign slogans.

Other Massachussets Congressmen, whose ties to HUCTW are not as strong as Frank's, have indicated that they too plan to support the union drive at Harvard.

Aides to Sen. Edward M. Kennedy '54 (D-Mass.) and his nephew, Rep. Joseph P. Kennedy II (D-Mass.), said yesterday that if HUCTW asked for their endorsement, the Congressmen would support the union.

"It's clear that Kennedy is in favor of the right to organize and collectively bargain," said Chris Doherty '78, a legislative assistant in Kennedy's Senate office.

Paul Davis, district office director for Joseph Kennedy, said that the Congressman has not been asked to support HUCTW, but added that Kennedy would do what the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employee (AFSCME) leaders thought was appropriate if the union asked for his support.