Fencers Finish 8th in NCAA Finals

By Casey J. Lartigue jr.

The Harvard women's fencing team just keeps on breaking records.

In its first four years, the Crimson was the Ivy League doormat, losing its first 16 Ivy contests. And now this year, after qualifying for the NCAA Championship for the second consecutive year, Harvard won its first contest in national competition.

The swordswomen finished eighth in the NCAA Championships held Monday through yesterday in Princeton, and junior Captain Penelope Papailias finished 10th in the individual competition.

Harvard finished 10th overall last year in its first-ever NCAA appearance, and, with a team that includes no seniors, moved up to the eighth spot this year.

The Crimson got off to a good start, defeating North Carolina, 9-5, in the first round.

From there, however, it was all downhill.

The Crimson went on to lose its final four contests, including falling to the two finalists, Wayne St. and Notre Dame.

Wayne St. defeated the Irish, 9-6, to capture the NCAA Championship.

Number-one seed Notre Dame routed the Crimson, 9-3, in the second round.

Then came what Papailias called "the tragedy of the day."

Harvard held a 6-4 lead over Penn St., but the Nittany Lions rallied past the Crimson, 8-6.

"When we needed it," Papailias said, "we just didn't have it."

Foiled

The Crimson was then fencing for fifth place, but Fairleigh Dickinson foiled Harvard, 9-5, and Wayne St. finished off the Crimson, 9-6.

Papailias qualified for the individaul competition for the third consecutive year, finishing 10th in the field of 24. The junior qualified two weeks ago with a second-place finish in the NCAA regionals.

After a seeding round, Papailias drew the number-six seed.

"I was fencing really well," Papailias said, "probably as good as all season."

However, Papailias fell in the first round to Notre Dame's Ann Barreda, 8-2, in the first round.

Papailias won one of her three matches, defeating Jean Yee of Penn, 8-7.

"I won by the skin of my teeth," Papailias said.

Papailias was eliminated in the next round by Penn's Jane Paul, 8-0.

Mary Sullivan of Notre Dame defeated Loredana Ranza of Wayne St. to capture the individual championship.

"Finishing eighth was pretty respectable," Papailias said. "We fenced really well, and we're looking towards next year."

In addition to Papailias, junior Kristina Perkin and sophomores Amy Neuhardt and Michelle Kosch return next year.

The Champ

Harvard men's fencer and defending NCAA epee champion Jim O'Neil will try to defend his championship this weekend in Princeton.

O'Neill, who will probably draw the number-one seed, is fresh off winning the Eastern Championships last week. O'Neill was an all-Ivy selection for the third consecutive year.

Adam Weintraub, another member of the men's team, also advanced to the NCAA Championships.

"It's his first national competition" O'Neill said, "so he should get a lot of experience. He's been fencing really well lately."

O'Neill last year won the title with a last-minute rally over John O'Laughlin of Penn.

"There should be a lot of tough competion," O'Neill said.