The South Rises Again

By Michael J. Lartigue

THEY predicted that the South would rise again. Who would have thought that a liberal-easterner would have been the one to bring the South back to prominence. But it's pretty obvious that the Democrats, following Democratic presidential nominee Gov. Michael S. Dukakis' cue, went after the Southern vote. After viewing the Democratic convention, it would only make sense for the Republicans to follow the Democrats in wooing the South.

The Southern strategy got its first start when Dukakis chose Texas Senator Lloyd Bentsen as his running mate. Was it a good choice? So far, it seems to have been a good move.

The Democrats have never won the White House without winning Texas. Picking a Texan certainly enhances the Democrats chances of winning Texas and other parts of the South. Bentsen's conservative voting record should appeal to conservative white Southerners.

Dukakis has forced Bush to rethink his Southern strategy. It's bad enough that Bush has to work for the Southern vote, but now he has to campaign in Texas--a state that he thought was going to be a piece of cake. Now, Bentsen has taken a large slice out of that cake.

While Bush hasn't come out with a real opinion on the Texan senator, it is assumed that he and the Republican party think highly of him. Bush criticized Walter Mondale for not picking Bentsen as his running mate in 1984. Bush is hoping that those words will not come back to haunt him.

The Democratic party is hoping that history will repeat itself. In 1960, the Boston-Austin connection defeated the Republicans. They are also hoping that Bentsen can defeat Bush again. In 1970, Bentsen defeated Bush for a Senate seat.

THE Democrats second plank in the Southern strategy was having Texas State Treasurer Anne Richards give the keynote speech at the Democratic National Convention.

Richards continued the attack by trying to show that Bush isn't a real Texan. Bush's voting residence is a room at the Houstonian, a hotel in Houston. This even prompted the head of the Texas delegation to call Bush a tourist.

The Democratic Southern strategy is like a burning fire. Each time a Southerner spoke at the convention, it was like adding another log.

The Democrats Southern attack didn't stop with Richards and Bentsen. Some prominent names included Arkansas Governor Bill Clinton and Senate Majority Leader Robert Byrd. The Texas entourage included House Speaker Jim Wright, Agriculture Commissioner Jim Hightower, former Congresswoman Barbara Jordan and Congressman Mickey Leland. Leland and the highly respected Jordan seconded Bentsen's selection as vice president. Even the ending of the convention had a Texan taste to it. Singer Jennifer Holliday closed out the convention with the old rendition of "America the Beautiful." And where is she from? You guessed it. She's from Texas.

Are there any more influential Texans left?

The Democrats even used Reverend Billy Graham, the most respected Southern evangical baptist in the United States. I guess they were looking to a higher source for help.

THIS Southern strategy probably did not go unnoticed by the Republicans, who have attracted conservative Democrats over the years. It's highly unlikely that they are willing to give up that support just yet.

Bush is in a pretty good position. Since the Republican Convention is three weeks away, the vice president has some time to decide what area of the country he needs the most help in.

It would not be surprising if Bush picked up on the Southern strategy. However, there aren't too many Southerners that Bush can choose from. But there are a couple of names that are prominent in the South: Reagan's former Chief of Staff Howard Baker and former Secretary of Transportation Elizabeth Dole.

Well the first thing is that he is from Tennessee. Another reason is because he is seen as a moderate. While he is a good friend of NAACP President Benjamin Hooks, it isn't for certain that he could bring in Blacks. Baker could bring in some moderate Democrats to the fold.

The only problem with Baker is that he isn't recognized with one state or a certain constituency, and unlike Bentsen, he doesn't bring in a big state or a large constituency. Tennessee is a toss-up with or without Baker, and it doesn't have enough electoral votes to sway the election either way.

BUSH'S other alternative down South is Mrs. Dole, the wife of Sen. Bob Dole (R-Kan.). Mrs. Dole, who is from North Carolina, could help in her homestate, South Carolina and Tennessee. She can also help Bush in the Midwest, in states such as Kansas (where she resides), Missouri and Illinois and Iowa. A third advantage of choosing Mrs. Dole is that she can bring in women voters. Especially since Dukakis didn't even consider putting a woman on the ticket.

Bush's popularity in the South showed with convincing wins over his rivals during Super Tuesday. Bush swept every single state. Picking a Southerner will only enhance his popularity in that region.

The Republicans will have to match the Democrats with a Southern strategy before and after the their convention next month. If the Republicans are able to maintain their popularity with the Southern voters, Dukakis would have to change his vice-presidential selection to Robert. E. Lee to have a chance.