Crimson Golfers Set for Battle

By Michael Stankiewicz

The American Revolution started at the Battles of Concord and Lexington in 1776.

Harvard golf Coach Jock Hopkins, a golf pro at the Concord Country Club, is also hoping to start a revolution of his own--a revolution within the New England collegiate golf tour.

Hopkins will be making his debut as the Crimson's golf general when Harvard hosts Williams and Holy Cross at its home course, the Country Club in Brookline, this afternoon.

"I think coach [Hopkins] can really help us out a lot, since he's a golf pro," Harvard Captain Terry Murray said. "Before, our coaches were former players who wanted to help the program out. Having a golf pro coach us should be a big advantage."

Earlier this week, Hopkins made his final selections for the soldiers who will lead his squad into battle.

Joining Murray will be seniors Murray Gunty and Dan Mahoney and juniors Dan Murphy and Tod Hartje. Hartje, who skates for the nationally-ranked men's ice hockey team, should be able to add tremendous battlefield experience from his two years in the hockey program.

Sophomores Ross Cockrell and Mike Foster and freshmen Bill Boone, Dennis Crowley and David Miller round out the 1988 Crimson golf battallion.

"I was expecting a rebuilding year because four of our top five players graduated," Murray said, "but a lot of great guys came out for the team and we expect to win this Friday. Especially down the road, we're going to be a good team."

After the Williams/Holy Cross match today, Harvard's top five golfers will compete at the ECAC Division I Qualifier Tournament on October 6-7 before competing at the New England Intercollegiate Golf Association Tournament at New Seabury, Mass. on October 10-11.

If the Crimson shoots well at the ECAC qualifying tournament, Harvard will be invited to battle at the ECAC Championships in Hershey, Penn., on October 15-16.