City Politicians Square Off

Eighteen Council Candidates Attend Women's Groups' Forum

Eighteen of Cambridge's 28 city council candidates last night participated in the city's first televised question-and-answer forum completely produced and moderated by local women and women's organizations.

Called "Cambridge Women Ask the Candidates," the three-hour presentation featured two panels, in which candidates answered questions about housing, health care and development.

The questions covered issues ranging from homelessness, AIDS, development and rent control toi Cambridge Hospital's debt and zoning of halfway houses for recovering alcoholics and other welfare agencies.

Council candidates mostly agreed on the issues. Those asked about AIDS emphasized the need for education, health care and mental support, while those responding to the zoning issue said they would negotiate between the community, the institution and the council. All said homelessness deserved greater attention.

Councillors Francis H. Duehay and Alice K. Wolf, who are seeking re-election, also said Cambridge must demand the $8 million which they say the state owes the Cambridge Hospital.

Development and rent control were the two most controversial issues at the forum. While candidate Alan Bell called for a balanced approach to development, Wolf insisted on a stronger tactic, saying, "This city has got to make up its mind on whether it wants to sell out to development."

Rent control also inspired some lively returns. Several candidates turned to the ever-controversial Proposition 1-2-3, which, if passed by voters this November, would allow some tenants in rent-controlled housing to purchase their apartments after two or more years.

While some said they back the ballot referendum, Duehay strongly contested the challenge to Cambridge's 19-year-old rent control ordinance.

"This election is about whether large development and real estate interests will control Cambridge. There's a lot of money pouring into the city supporting Candidates for 1-2-3. Make no mistake about it. If 1-2-3 goes through, 14,000 units of housing will be lost," Duehay said.

Although most candidates refrained from heated debate, organizer Joan Whitaker called the presentation "a very valuable community education opportunity."

And spectators generally agreed that the forum was informative. "It's always nice to know what their visions are...one never gets to feel what that person thinks," said Lester P. Lee, former campaign manager to Rep. Alvin E. Thompson (D-Cambridge).

The Network of Former Women's Commissioners prepared the questions for last night's debate. Cambridge Women in Cable TV, a volunteer organization designed to get women involved in television, helped the group and the local YWCA organize the forum. Continental Cablevision, a local network, supplied the equipment.