Hillel Holds Memorial Service for Hornstein

Friends and relatives of Andrew R. "Moty" Hornstein last night paid tribute to the first-year Harvard student who died while home for Yom Kippur.

The Harvard-Radcliffe Hillel memorial service, attended by more than 70 people, took place in Hillel's Morgenthau Chapel.

Hornstein's mother Vera, father Alex, and brother Avi sat in the front row as the congregation listened to speakers paint a picture of an ambitious youth devoted to Israeli and Jewish issues.

"There is no need to tell you the sense of pain and loss my family is going through," said Alex Hornstein, in his eulogy, as his voice cracked.

Jon A. Levisohn '93, a friend of Hornstein's who studied with him in Israel last year, also spoke about Hornstein's commitment to Jewish political issues.

"Moty was never happier than when he was in the middle of a debate, where he could throw his weight behind things he believed in," Levisohn said.

The congregation chanted in Hebrew, led by Hornstein's brother Avi. The speakers, including Rabbi Ben-Zion, the Hillel director, discussed the overwhelming sadness of Hornstein's death.

"There is no way of talking about consolation," Ben-Zion said. "I don't know how to console."

Nevertheless, the Hillel director mentioned the many projects, such as the study of certain sections of the Talmud and the possible planting of trees, that are being undertaken in remembrance of Hornstein.

Hornstein, who died Sunday, October 8, lived in Pennypacker. About 10 to 15 Pennypacker residents attended last night's service. Henry C. Moses, dean of first-year students, also attended.