Icemen Stunned in Overtime By Vermont Catamounts, 6-5

By Gary R. Shenk, Special to The Crimson

BURLINGTON, Vt.--For a few brief moments here last night, it seemed as though the Harvard hockey magic had finally returned.

With 3335 Gutterson Fieldhouse spectators loudly singing goodbye in response to University of Vermont winger Jim Larkin's go-ahead goal with 19 seconds left in regulation, the Crimson controlled the ensuing faceoff and quickly drove down the ice. Thirteen seconds later, C.J. Young centered the puck to Mike Vukonich, who pushed a shot past Mike Milhan to tie the game, with six ticks left in regulation.

But the magic would soon fade, as Vermont forward Mike McLaughlin drove in a slapshot less than two minutes into overtime, stunning the Crimson, 6-5.

"It's Murphy's Law right now," Harvard Coach Bill Cleary said. "We can't get over that hump."

Other than Murphy, perhaps Catamount fans have to thank UVM doctors, who allowed McLaughlin and standout forward John LeClair to play in last night's contest. LeClair to play in last night's contest. LeClair tallied two goals and one assist in his return to Vermont's first line after being afflicted by a hand infection, while McLaughlin overcame an injured shoulder to nab the game-winner.

"John was John," Vermont coach Mike Gilligan said. "He's a pretty talented man. He can beat people one-on-one and he really gets the rest of the kids up."

The Vermont attack proved to be too much for Harvard goalie Allain Roy despite a strong 24-save performance by the Crimson sophomore, who started two games in a row for only the second time in his career. Cleary started Roy over classmate Chuckie Hughes because of his strong performance last week.

However, it was Millhan and not Roy who stole the show, recording 31 saves for the victory.

The Vermont goalie thwarted the Crimson in the opening period with 12 saves. While the Crimson outshot the Catamounts, 19-7, in the period, Vermont was able to capitalize on two of its four shots on goal.

UVM freshman Brendan Creagh opened the scoring seven minutes into the period on a power play. Crimson penalties once again paid off for its opponents once again as Creagh controlled a pass from Ricker Love just inside the blue line and fired a slapshot past Roy.

Two minutes later, LeClair controlled the puck at center ice and wove through two Harvard defenders set up a two-on-nothing against Roy. LeClair fed Jim Larkin for the goal and a 2-0 lead.

"They may not be the most talented team, butthey worked hard," John Weisbrod said. "When pushcomes to shove and when its tight, we've got torise to the occasion."

Despite sub-zero temperatures outside thearena, the Crimson would not stay cold for long.Two minutes later, after UVM defender StethaneVenne was sent to the penalty box for tripping, abeautifully organized Crimson power play putHarvard on the scoreboard. Kevan Melrose fired apass from the left blue line to Weisbrod at theright crease, who deflected the puck into the goalat 11:38.

The LeClair-Larkin tandem would soon strikeagain, just three minutes into the second period.This time, the Vermont duo swtiched roles asLeClair took a Larkin pass, flew by Harvarddefender Brian Popiel and backhanded a shot by Royfrom a seemingly impossible angle.

While the momentum definitely favored the Cats,Harvard forward Tim Burke would silence the crowdwith an equally impressive goal 30 secondslater--pushing the puck off the near post pastMillham--to pull the Crimson to within one.

Harvard tied the game nine minutes later asfreshman Matt Malgrave tallied his firstcollegiate goal on a two-on-one play with SteveFlomenhoft.

Just 24 seconds into the final period, LeClairtallied his second goal of the night, deflecting ablue-line shot by Roy. But Harvard completed itsthird comeback at the 7:11 mark, when John Murphyput in a rebound off of Mike Vukonich's shot