The Selection of a Dean

March 10, 1988-President Bok announces that he did not grant tenure to Professor of Law Clare Dalton, an adherent to the radical school of legal thought, Critical Legal Studies (CLS). The Law School Faculty becomes polarized over the Dalton issue and its ideological ramifications. Professor of Law Robert C. Clark is among Dalton's and CLS's-most vocal critics.

April 25, 1988-Present Law School Dean James Vorenberg '49 announces that he will step down at the end of the 1988-1989 academic year.

May 12, 1988-The Law School Faculty elects a six-person search committee to find a successor to Vorenberg. The committee, which includes Clark, is composed of both CLS advocates and opponents.

May 24, 1988-The search committee selects Tyler Professor of Constitutional Law Laurence H. Tribe '62 as its chair.

November 12, 1988-A student committee publishes a survey of student opinion on the dean search. Sixty percent of respondents say the new dean's top priority should be legal education. In the section on specific candidates, Clark receives mixed reviews.

November 14, 1988-The field of prospective deans is narrowed to nine, including five scholars from within the Law School and four from outside. On the list are Clark, Professor of Law Gary Bellow and Byrne Professor of Administrative Law Richard B. Stewart. Sources say the selection of Clark would demonstrate a desire to purge the Law School of CLS.

December 15, 1988-The list of would-be-deans is whittled to three or four. President Bok, who will ultimately choose the new dean, says he is nearing a decision.

February 16, 1989-Sources say Bok will name Clark as dean.