Russian Research Center

MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

I should correct some wrong impressions which may arise out of the generally well-written and informative article on the Russian Research Center which appeared in your issue of May 26. In the first place, our center was not "founded with the help of the U.S. government," but has always been supported by non-government funds, foundations, and private donors. I think your article may also convey the impression that the Center was in a condition of intellectual decline in the late 1960s and through the 1970s. While it is true that our funds declined in that period, there was then, as there has always been since 1948, vigorous scholarly and educational activity carried on by the Center. Many of the 400 or so books written by affiliates of the Center were published during that time, and Harvard was still, as it is now, one of the leading institutions in Russian-Soviet studies in the Western world. Finally, your able reporter may create an erroneous impression when he writes that "the area studies centers compete for funds from the Department of Education under the National Defense Education Act." This does not refer to the Russian Research Center as such--which, to repeat, does not get funds from the government--but to the Soviet and East European Language and Area Center, which has its offices in our building but which is not, strictly speaking, part of our institution.

I hope these remarks will help clarify the role of the Russian Research Center in the overall Harvard environment. Adam B. Ulam   Director, Russian Research Center