Colgate Keeps Rolling; Clarkson Dumps SLU

ECAC Wrap

After just squeaking out a 3-2 win over Yale Friday night, it looked as if ECAC leader Colgate was making good on its reputation as a weak road team.

Not so Saturday night.

Colgate romped to a 5-2 win over Brown in Providence, putting the Red Raiders further ahead of the ECAC pack with a 10-1-1 league mark (15-3-1 overall).

The Red Raiders jumped to a two-goal lead just 32 seconds into the game after Craig Woodcroft and Steve Spott each tallied in a 14-second span. Colgate increased the margin to 3-0 on a Jason Greyerbiehl goal at 9:15 before Joe Verderber got one back for Brown (4-7-2, 4-10-2), which fell 4-2 to Cornell Friday night.

Clarkson 3, St. Lawrence 2

Freshman defenseman Marton D'Orsonnes scored on a screened shot with three seconds remaining to give Clarkson the edge over St. Lawrence, 3-2, in a north country showdown in Canton, N.Y., Saturday night.

The lead pinballed back and forth, with the teams deadlocked, 2-2, early in the second period. Mark Green tallied twice in the second period for the Golden Knights (7-4-1, 14-5-1).

The Saints fell to 6-5-1 in the league, 6-10-3 overall.

Cornell 6, Yale 2

Ross Lemon had a goal and two assists in the final period as the Big Red came back from a 2-0 deficit to prevail in New Haven.

Lemon's goal was just one of five final-period tallies for the Big Red (6-3-2, 8-5-2), which trailed until a Ryan Hughes power play goal at 2:17 evened the score. Alex Nikolic's wraparound 1:33 later proved to be the game-winner.

Yale's two-game breakdown in the Whale dropped its record to 4-7-1 in the league, 5-9-1 overall.

RPI 5, Vermont 4

The Engineers broke out of a slump for a second-straight win over the Catamounts, 5-4, Saturday night in Troy, N.Y.

Gary Woolford, who tallied twice for RPI, netted the game-winner at the 5:52 mark of the third period.

The Engineers (6-5-0, 10-10-0) pulled above .500 in the league for the first time since late November with the weekend sweep over Vermont (3-9-1, 5-14-1), which had dropped a 9-8 decision in Burlington the night before.

Lowell 4, Dartmouth 3

Dartmouth, the ECAC cellar dwellar, tried its hand against Hockey East's Lowell Saturday in Hanover, N.H., and found that things aren't any easier outside the league.

Randy LeBrasseur scored the game-opener and the game-winner as Lowell (3-5-2 Hockey East, 11-7-2 overall) capitalized on three second-period goals for the win.

Jamie Hanlon stuffed in a third-period shot to narrow Lowell's lead to one, but the Big Green (2-7-3, 2-11-3) failed to finish the comeback.