At Least Eight Thefts Hit Currier House Recently

By Veronica Rosales

There have been at least eight thefts from Currier House suites in the last two weeks, and police and house officials said they believe the thief has a pass key to student rooms.

Last Friday, posters were put up in Currier House warning residents about the thefts.

There have been no signs of forced entries into the suites that were robbed, students said.

Kristina M. Song '92 said she had $500 in cash stolen from her desk drawer last Wednesday.

"It's pretty obvious that someone with a master key has done it," she said. "That's what scares me the most, that someone has a key to all of our rooms and nothing can be done about it."

Stacy L. Adams '92 said she had a gold watch stolen form her room last Friday.

Song said that students should have been notified earlier of the thefts.

"Apparently thefts had been going on for two weeks before my money was stolen," she said. "If we had a notice in our mailboxes, I wouldn't have had 500 dollars in my drawer."

Harvard Police Chief Paul E. Johnson said that a decision to change the locks on student rooms would be made by the house master and superintendent.

"It's been done in other places," said Johnson, adding that "it's an expensive process."