Lesbian A Capella Group to Expand

By Matthew A. Light

Harvard students are attempting to expand an a capella group which seeks to cater to the musical interests of lesbian and bisexual women.

The group, "Outrageous," was formed last year by Julie K. Schulman '92. Although originally intended to be a co-ed group, Outrageous was instead formed as an all-women ensemble whose goal was to complement and provide an alternative to the Radcliffe Pitches, the only other all-female a capella group at Harvard.

"Ninety percent of the Pitches' songs are love stories are addressed to men," said Schulman. "They can't speak to all women." She said many of Outrageous' songs are love songs in which the person being adressed is a woman.

While the group does seek to respond to the needs of women of all sexual orientations, its members are not restricted to lesbians or bisexual women. This year Schulman hopes to expand its size from the current five to perhaps eight singers.

Outrageous' repertory is not limited to love songs or "women's music." This year Schulman plans to play such classical masterpieces as Handel's Hallelujah Chorus.

Outrageous will perform at one large concert in the spring and to smaller groups throughout the year. Auditions were held yesterday night at Currier House.