Mass. State Rep. Calls on University VP to Increase Transparency for Allston Multimodal Project

Harvard President Lawrence Bacow Made $1.1 Million in 2020, Financial Disclosures Show

Harvard Executive Vice President Katie Lapp To Step Down

81 Republican Lawmakers File Amicus Brief Supporting SFFA in Harvard Affirmative Action Lawsuit

Duke Senior’s Commencement Speech Appears to Plagiarize 2014 Address by Harvard Student

Reporter's Notebook

"When historians write back about Massachusetts' comeback in the '90s, the story is going to begin with today's election because today, the voters of Massachusetts opted for change."

--Massachusetts Governor-elect William F. Weld '66, in his election night victory speech, after voters chose him to be the state's first Republican governor in two decades. Weld won by a narrow margin, 51 to 49 percent.

"No matter what, shoot straight."

--Democratic candidate for governor John R. Silber's parting words to his supporters, after conceding defeat on election night. Silber's campaign was self-described as "straight shooting."

"When it comes to CLT, you can just call me Dr. No."

--Silber, an opponent of the Citizens for Limited Taxation (CLT) petition, a ballot measure defeated on election night that would have rolled back taxes to 1988 levels.

An Informal Phone Poll--Two days before the election a reporter contacting directory assistance for Senator John F. Kerry's phone number had an unusual reaction from the operator.

"Why does everyone want his number, you don't think he has a chance of winning?" she said.

The operator went on to say that she thought Kerry was too liberal to win but the governor's race was too close to call. "I hope it's not Silber though," she added.

"Look out boys, I'm coming back."

--Marjorie O. Clapprood, Silber's running mate for lieutenant governor, teasing the crowd on election night.

"During the time the Saudi Government was talking about war and cancelled the festival days, here we had a festival for five days. The Americans are sending 300,000 people to Saudi Arabia to be ready to fight. We are here for a birthday."

--A source close to Saudi Prince Turki Bin Abdul Aziz Al Saud, who said that two of the prince's top aides resigned because of moral outrage over the conduct of the prince's entourage during the three months he has been in Cambridge. During this time, there have been numerous complaints by Cambridge residents about the prince's stay.

"Any time someone is murdered, it's a tragedy. One can disagree with a person's views but violence is never a solution."

--Hillel acting director Sally R. Finestone, on the assassination of Meir Kahane, the right-wing rabbi who unexpectedly came to speak at Hillel last week, causing a number of students and staff to walk out of the building in protest.

"If people can't make it, we don't wish them death or anything, we just want people from their houses who can make it. Their constituency is entitled to be represented."

--Undergraduate Council Chair Evan B. Rauch '91-'92, explaining the council's decision to expel two members for poor attendance.

"The head of dining services is capable of implementing any and all changes in the food in terms of what is served, when it is served and how it is served."

--Daniel H. Tabak '92, head of the Undergraduate Council's residential committee, on the search for a successor to Frank J. Weissbecker, the director of Harvard Dining Services.