South Africans Describe Strife

Two Visitors Urge Activists to Continue Divestment Efforts

By Yin Y. Nawaday

Two young South Africans visiting Harvard yesterday afternoon described the ongoing strife in their country and encouraged student activists to continue their effort to end the University's investment in companies that do business in the racially-divided state.

Speaking before a group of about 35 students gathered at a Sever Hall forum, Mpho Lekgoro and Brian Thami Hlongwa offered a blunt representation of the volatile situation in their country as well as insight into the present policies of the African National Congress (ANC).

Hlongwa said the ANC sought non-violent means for equality until 1960 when the organization was banned. Hlwonga said that, after the banning, "Our people were left with no choice but to take up arms," he said.

Hlongwa praised the "daring and gallant and fearless struggle" of the ANC and leaders like Nelson Mandela for the reforms now on the horizon.

"It is no longer possible for [the South African government] to rely on sheer brute force" to suppress the Black population, he said. "They are forced to listen to our needs," he added.

"The apartheid government wants to be a player and referee at the same time," Hlongwa said.

Hlongwa emphasized that the apartheid government has not really made many changes in its traditional tactics of divide and conquer. He said that the government has not suddenly undergone a change of heart in its oppressive policies, but that it is merely buckling under the pressure.

"The apartheid government is preaching peace to the international community while they are conducting war on our people," said Hlongwa.

Lekgoro said the international movement against the apartheid system has had an impact. "We are here to assure you that the sanctions and divestment drive have a significant effect on our cause," he added.

According to Lekgoro, the South African government could not flourish or continue to oppress its people without the economic power derived from various international companies.

"We will never forget your efforts," he said.

The forum was sponsored by the African Students Association, the Black Students Association, the Freshman Black Table and the Southern Africa Solidarity Committee.