Boston Planning Official Criticizes Scheme Z

BOSTON--Boston City Councilor Michael J. McCormack called plans to build a 16-lane interchange as part of the Central Artery-Third Harbor Tunnel project "a monstrosity and a catastrophe."

The 10-story interchange would be built over the Charles River, and would create about as much elevated highway as depressing the Central Artery would eliminate.

The interchange, which would connect the Tobin Bridge, Storrow Drive, Interstate 93 and the new, underground Central Artery, is known as Scheme Z.

McCormack is chair of the City Council's Planning and Development Committee.

"It is in the best interests of both Mayor [Raymond] Flynn and Governor-elect [William F.] Weld ['66] that the both of them review Scheme Z and urge that as much as possible be put underground," McCormack said.

An aide to Flynn told The Boston Globe that the mayor has asked aides to review alternatives to the interchange.

Neighborhood groups and environmentalists generally support the artery-tunnel project since revisions were made.

It would create open space and parks in Boston's downtown and East Boston sections.

The state Department of Public Works said it would spend more than $50 million in park improvements to compensate for the interchange and said it would make the bridges across the Charles River as attractive as possible.

The Cambridge City Council and the Cambridge Conservation Commission oppose the interchange.

State Transportation Secretary Frederick P. Salvucci said it is the only environmentally workable and affordable plan among more than 30 studied.

He also has expressed concern that any last-minute design change could jeopardize the project.