Student Wounded With Bottle

By Joshua A. Gerstein

Cambridge police arrested a local man Saturday night after he allegedly threw a bottle at a Harvard student who was walking on Winthrop St., police reports said.

According to the Cambridge police log, Geoffrey Mulkerrin was arrested on the charge of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon as a result of the incident outside 69 Winthrop St.

Witnesses said a bottle and a one-gallon can of varnish came through a first-story window without warning as the student walked with friends at about 10:45 p.m. Saturday.

The student, who had a cut on the side of his head when police arrived, was transported to University Health Services for treatment. The police log did not identify the student.

A shattered gin bottle and a dented but full can of varnish were lying on the sidewalk shortly after the incident occurred. In addition, the opaque screen on a window directly above the broken bottle was torn.

Two employees of the nearby Casa Mexico restaurant said that they and their customers are often disturbed by rowdy parties on upper floors of the Winthrop St. building.

Attempts to reach Mulkerrin and the student involved were unsuccessful yesterday.