Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

Skiers Finish in Top of the Pack

Sheinberg Grabs First in Slalom to Lead Men's Team to Third-Place Finish

By Jacque Blocker

Although plagued with falls and disqualifications, both the Harvard women's and men's ski teams performed well Saturday in the 10-team carnival held in Sugarbush North, Vt. The women finished fifth overall, while the men finished third--only four points behind the second place team.

Captain Rana Dershowitz was the top finisher for the women, finishing fourth among 50 competitors in the slalom race and 11th in the giant slalom.

"I was very pleased with my performance in the slalom," said Dershowitz, who wasn't as satifisfied with her finish in the giant slalom, but hopes to do better in next weekend's carnival at West Mountain, N.Y.

Probably the most impressive Harvard skier in the carnival was junior Daniel Sheinberg. Sheinberg took first place in the slalom by a large margin and third in the giant slalom--a repeat of his performance last weekend in Pleasant Mountain, Me.

"Daniel is really having a great season, he is finally putting everything together and has definitely secured himself a position in the NCAA Division I Championships," said Dershowitz, who also has a shot at qualifying for nationals.

Senior Captain Greg Cabot also performed well,finishing sixth in the slalom and 12th in thegiant slalom.

"I was very pleased with the way that Greg andI skied, our only problem overall was theperformances of our third skiers," said Cabot.

To improve on its performance next weekend,both teams will have to concentrate on cuttingdown the number of falls, with the women sufferingthree disqualifications this weekend. They willespecially have to get better performances fromthe lower skiers, better than the number-threeskier on the men's team falling during the slalom.

Although mistakes were made by key skiers thisweekend, both captains feel confident about theupcoming carnivals. Cabot believes that the teamswill do extremely well in the Division IIChampionships in two weeks at Mount Snow, Vt