Subramanian Likely to Win Second Term

Representatives Say the Current Chair Will Probably Run Unopposed

By Jeffrey C. Wu

Undergraduate Council members will likely reelect Guhan Subramanian '91-'92 to a second term as chair this Sunday in an election that representatives say will probably be uncontested.

While none of the officers would rule out the possibility of a "dark horse" candidate emerging at the reelection meeting, most council chairs have served for an entire year. Only once, in 1982, during the council's first session, has an incumbent council chair failed to win a second one-semester term.

"I think there's a lot that I would like to do that's still unfinished," Subramanian said. "That's why I would like to do a second term," he added.

The council is also expected to reelect Vice Chair Athan G. Tolis '91, Treasurer Christopher J. Borgen '91 and two-term Secretary Evan B. Rauch '92.

Sean C. Griffin '90, chair of the council's ad hoc committee on security and a former candidate for council chair, said he would be surprised if any of the incumbents were challenged, especially Subramanian.

"He's basically kept everyone on the [council] happy," he said. "I can't think of anybody who could run against Guhan and win."

"You see very little turnover in officers between semesters," said Lori L. Outzs '91, chair of the council's academics committee and also a former candidate for council chair. "It's a check. If someone's really not doing a good job then it's an easy way to get rid of them."

All four officers said they thought the council was happy with their performances.

'Hit the Ground Running'

Subramanian and Tolis both said they would use the opportunity to address the body whether or not their reelections are contested.

Subramanian said his address would attempt to set an upbeat tone for the spring semester.

"This is a chance to hit the ground running," he said. "Traditionally what's happened is that people drop off towards the end of the spring. I think if we start the spring off with a bang we can keep the momentum going."

Tolis said his remarks will outline a plan to change the structure of the council to involve more council members in official business.