As Usual, Joslin Nabs Ivy Player of the Year

Mens' Young, Vukonich Are All-ECAC

Two out of three ain't bad.

And Harvard superstar Char Joslin has a chance to go three for three.

After receiving Ivy League Player of the Year honors last fall for her performance on the Harvard field hockey team, Joslin has been named Ivy Player of the Year in women's hockey for the second straight year.

Joslin will begin her drive for a Grand Slam today when the Harvard women's lacrosse team competes in a tournament at William & Mary.

The senior defender, who also earned her third straight first-team All-Ivy selection, tied sophomore Sandra Whyte for the team Ivy scoring lead with eight goals and seven assists for 15 points. Whyte and Beverly Stickles, both first-team honorees last season, earned second-team honors.

The Men

Despite finishing sixth in the ECAC regular season standings, the Harvard men's hockey team joined regular-season champion Colgate in placing two players on the first-team All-ECAC roster.

Junior Mike Vukonich, who led the Crimson (13-14-1) with 21 goals and 29 points for 50 points, and Captain C.J. Young (21-28--49) joined Hobey Baker finalist and league-leading scorer Joe Juneau of RPI in nabbing top honors for ECAC forwards, while Cornell's Dan Ratushny and Brown's Mike Brewer were named on defense. Vukonich led the ECAC scoring race for the bulk of the season but finished third over all behind Juneau (50 league points) and Young (44).

Young earned second-team honors last season, while Vukonich was making his first appearance in the all-star lineup.

Colgate junior Dave Gagnon earned ECAC MVP honors for his performance in goal for the Red Raiders, and was also tabbed as a top 10 contender for the Hobey Baker award. Despite having two pre-season Hobey Baker candidates in Young and junior Peter Ciavaglia, who earned honorable mention All-ECAC honors, Harvard failed to put forth a finalist in the Hobey Baker race. Last year's winner--and ECAC MVP--was Lane MacDonald '88-'89, who claimed Harvard's third Hobey in the nine-year history of the award.

Cornell's Kent Manderville headlined the ECAC rookie team, which included standout Harvard forward Ted Drury, who finished the season with 22 points despite missing 11 games because of injuries.

Terry Slater of Colgate was named ECAC Coach of the Year for leading the Red Raiders to the regular-season championship and a top 10 national ranking. Colgate, which was predicted to finish in the middle of the ECAC standings, easily won the league race and spent six straight weeks with a number-two national ranking.