Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

Injury to Jones Hurts W. Thinclads

Benjamin Leads Talented Male Squad in Quest for Heptagonal Title

By Andy Fine

After a phenomenal streak in which Suzanne Jones attained All-American status in five of six seasons in cross-country and winter and spring track, her taxing athletic schedule appears to have taken its toll. The senior will miss most of the cross-country season with a stress fracture.

Despite the absence of Jones, who has the potential to be a national champion, both the women's and men's cross-country teams have loaded their arsenals for the fall season.

A strong group of sophomores--one of Haggarty's best recruiting classes--should lead the Crimson to a strong showing in the Heptagonals against major threats like Yale and Dartmouth. Among the sophomores, Rachel Lewis and Holly Moore have asserted themselves in preseason camp.

They will need help from the rest of their talented classmates to fend off opponents until Jones can return. In addition, Haggerty is intent on replacing graduated stars Jody Dushay and Romney Resney.

The men are prepped for a strong season with the return of their top three runners--Captain Rob Benjamin, senior Todd Wells and junior Spencer Punter. Juniors John Oakes and Skardon Baker lead a talented corps of runners looking to support the top three.

"I don't think I've seen us looking this good in my years here," Benjamin said. "We could finish first or second this year [in Heps]."

The men also should see their top competition from Yale and Dartmouth, the perennial league favorite.

"Dartmouth is going to be very strong," Benjamin said, "And Yale has incredibly strong top three runners."

The prospects look solid for both of Haggerty'ssquads based on preseason camps.

"We have to keep seeing improvement allseason," Benjamin said