Undefeated Stickwomen Face Huskies Today

By Daniel E. Kosowsky

The Harvard women's field hockey team will once again put its undefeated record on the line when it faces the University of Connectiut at 3 p.m. at Cumnock Field today.

UConn (2-3) comes into the game having just lost a tight match, 2-0, against nationally-ranked Penn State.

"UConn is a seasoned program with a highly skilled and very experienced team," Harvard Coach Sue Caples said. "Having made numerous trips to national tournaments, UConn always poses a serious challenge."

Jinx?

UConn has been a particularly tough competitor in the past, posting a 10-1-2 alltime record against the Crimson. Last year, the Huskies outlasted Harvard, 2-1, on its way to a top-20 finish.

"It is going to be a great test for us to see where we stand in the national picture," Caples said.

A win would make the Crimson, already among the top five teams in the Northeast, a strong contender for national ranking.

"We are all pretty confident and will be working hard tomorrow," Co-Captain Anne van Dykum said. "We must use our speed in order to capitalize."

The Crimson (4-0 overall, 1-0 Ivy) will have to outrun and outmaneuver UConn to counter the Huskies' strength and experience in the middle. UConn is led by senior goaltender Megan Tiley, who posted a season-high 19 saves in her last outing.

On the offensive end, the Huskies' main scoring threats are senior Dana Fuchs, who has averaged seven goals per season, and junior Chris Wadja who already has netted two this year.

"This week is a big week for us," Co-Captain Ceci Clark said. "If we can win our next two games, it can put us in a good position for the rest of the year."

Today's game ends the Crimson's five-game homestand. The Crimson returns to its Ivy schedule against Penn in Philadelphia Sunday.