At the College, Students Angry and Upset

News of Confirmation Ruins Meal for Some, Spices Up for Others

By Y. TAREK Farouki

Details of Clarence Thomas's confirmation added spice to dinner last night, as students discussed the outcome of the U.S. Senate vote.

The 52 to 48 vote ruined the meal for Jonathan P. Bonanno '95, who watched the television coverage of the vote in the Union's private dining room.

"I don't think he should have been confirmed at all," Bonanno said. "He lacked the necessary qualifications for such a high position, and I disagree with his views on affirmative action and other issues."

Some students said that Thomas was not the best candidate for the job, and may have been nominated in large part because of his race.

"It just shows that like the rest of the American government, the Supreme Court has become politicized," said Jonathan B. Vessey '95. "Justices should be put on because of their ability, not because of their race, sex or political affiliation.

But several students said they supported Thomas, and were satisfied with the outcome of the Senate's vote.

"Justice has been done," said Karen E. Boyle '94.

Last night's vote brought to a climax the political drama of the Thomas nomination. Many students said they spent part of the long weekend watching the tele-vised hearings that followed Anita Hill's allegations of sexual harassment.

Many students agreed that the truth about the alleged sexual harassment remains blurred. They disagreed, however, about how senators should have dealt with the ambiguity.

"I afforded him [Thomas] the protection of a reasonable doubt, and I would have voted for him," said Kyle E. Kimball '95.

But Melissa K. Bianchi '92 said she was disappointed in the Senate's decision.

"Since nothing was decided about the truth, he shouldn't have been confirmed," Bianchi said. "He's going to be on for life and there was doubt about something as serious as sexual harassment."

The hearings--which contained explicit sexual references--were fully televised over the weekend, and were the subject of news shows, commentary and private discussion over the three days.

Two sophomores who spent the weekend in Montreal said Canadians also followed the Thomas controversy--but a little less seriously than their American counterparts.

"It was a bit of a farce over there," said Andrew K. Howard '94. "Canadians looked at it as the most entertaining televison all year."