Six Harvard Students Win Marshall Awards

Crimson President Walkowitz Honored

By Natasha H. Leland

Six Harvard students were among 40 students nationwide to win the George C. Marshall Scholarship, which finances two years of study and travel in Great Britain.

The number of students who win the scholarship varies each year, according to Tricia L. Hughes, a counselor at the Office of Career Services. "It was a good showing for us. It's what we would have expected."

The six Harvard winners were Christy D. Cannon '92, Jeffrey S. Glueck '91, Matthew R. McBrady '92, Karen R. Rabin '91, Kurt G. Strovink '92 and Crimson President Rebecca L. Walkowitz '92.

"All things are considered," said Hughes, "especially strong academics and a strong extra-curricular interest."

But winning students believe the main focus is academic. "The Marshall has historically been a more academic scholarship," said Cannon.

Students receiving the scholarship are pleased but add that the decisions are not always clear cut. "It's a fairly random process," said Strovink. "A lot of other people could have won."

The Marshall scholarships, which began as a gift from the British government in appreciation of the Marshall plan. The scholarship also provides the option of a third year to pursue a doctorate.

At The Crimson, editors expressed shock that Walkowitz was able to juggle her many responsibilities at the newspaper with her academic work.

"We're all very proud of Rebecca," said Crimson editor Julian E. Barnes '93, who will replace Walkowitz next semester. "We're just wondering who screwed up on the Rhodes Committee."