IOP Forum Debate Was Not Justified

MAIL:

To the Editors of The Crimson:

On the evening of Monday, November 25, I attended a debate between two representatives from Peninsula and three from Perspective, sponsored by the Institute of Politics (IOP). Though the moderator later apologized for the wording, the title of the debate was "Is Opposition to Homosexuality Justified?"

The question I pose is, "Was This Debate Justified?" My response is a resounding "No!"

Though I appreciate the good intentions of my allies from Perspective, the fact that this debate took place deeply offended, hurt and outraged me.

The forum stemmed out of the controversy raging around the current issue of Peninsula, which shows on its cover a shattered pink triangle (a sacred symbol of pride and liberation to the gay, lesbian and bisexual communities).

Would the IOP have sponsored a debate to discuss the merits of Judaism if Peninsula had chosen to deface a Star of David on its cover? Would people have crammed into a crowded auditorium and listened politely to two men spouting forth misguided and uninformed interpretations of Jewish religion and culture? I hope and believe not. In like fashion, the IOP and Peninsula must realize that my gay identity, and my life generally, are not up for debate, and my community's symbols are not up for grabs.

The issue before us is not whether or not homosexuality is a viable, valid and affirming option in the spectrum of human sexuality. Rather, the true and pressing issue that must be addressed is how homophobia (the hatred of and discrimination against those who live and sexually desire those of the same sex) oppresses lesbians, gay men and bisexuals, while on some basic level also harms heterosexuals.

The incidents over the past few weeks have resulted in strife and dissension, and a climate of distrust has taken over on campus. Feelings have been hurt and people have taken sides. How do we repair the damage and move forward to encourage and enhance a sense of community linking our commonalities while cherishing our differences? There has been enough misunderstanding and bad feelings on all sides.

First of all, I suggest that the editors of Peninsula publicly apologize to lesbian, gay and bisexual people, as well as to heterosexual allies, for igniting this controversy. The IOP should then sponsor a forum on the topic of homophobia, focusing on what it is, how it is manifested and possible solutions for its reduction and eventual eradication.

Moreover, College administrators should publicly reaffirm the rights of gay, lesbian and bisexual people by stating that homophobia has no place in a college community. Also, professors and housing personnel can invite speakers from Harvard's gay, lesbian and bisexual communities as well as outside facilitators to lead workshops and general discussions. Gay, lesbian and bisexual studies could also be included in the standard curriculum.

The time is now to put the incidents of the past few weeks behind us. Let the healing begin. Warren J. Blumenfeld   Co-Author, Looking at Gay and Lesbian Life