Huzzah Harvard Hockey

MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

On two occasions spanning the past spring and fall semesters, my son Kevin (now seven) and I have had the opportunity to attend two varsity hockey games hosted by Harvard University at Bright Center. Both contests featured spirited play by the crimson-clad Cantabridgians and like-garbed RPI opponents. Advanced talents and skills of the competitors notwithstanding, the most noteworthy impressions were those made by the players and coaches of the Harvard hockey team subsequent to the sounding of the final whistle.

Through the good fortune of friendships (thank you, Peter Galvin), we were allowed access to the entranceway to the postgame team facilities. Amidst the jubilation of a hard-fought victory in the initial match, the players offered an exuberant welcome. Kevin was treated to autographs and banter by the graciously polite team as he received elevating introductions from future captain Ted Donato. Equally endearing to the winning atmosphere after game one were the person-ableness and gracefulness displayed by the athletes and staff following a tremendously exciting overtime loss in game two.

The echoing of huzzahs was absent from the hallway after the roller-coaster-like game that had seen the crowd rise in rousing cheer when the home team tied the score with five seconds remaining in regulation time. In spite of the deflating outcome, each team member proved himself a model of exemplary behavior, exiting the arena dressed in coat and tie. Assistant Coach Kevin Hampe, a two-sport captain and Harvard's 1973 Male Athlete of the Year, warmly penned his name alongside his photo in the game program. One by one, the well-spoken (and soft-spoken) players kindly and good-naturedly widened the grin of the impressionable youngster with encouraging chat and patient picture-signing. Penultimate to our ride homeward was a captivating conversation among captains past (Lane MacDonald) and present (Donato) and my son Kevin (future?). Please join me in saluting and applauding the members of the Harvard hockey program for the manner in which they exude excellence in both spirit and performance. Terence J. Eagan