Afro-Am Did the Right Thing

SPIKE LEE:

How does Spike Lee do it? Is it the shoes? Less than six years after he first impressed critics with the release of "She's Gotta Have It," the pioneering young filmmaker has established an artistic track record unequalled by anyone in moviedom.

So what if "Do the Right Thing" didn't even get nominated for an Academy Award? How many big-name directors can honestly claim to have been slam-dunked by Michael Jordan on national TV? Or to have criss-crossed the country asking people if their flies are buttoned?

The announcement last week that Lee would spend one day a week next spring teaching a class at Harvard for the Afro-American Studies Department seems a logical next step to this eclectic career. It's a nice move for Lee, who has frequently complained that his work is not given the mainstream recognition it deserves.

And it's a nice move for Afro-Am. Lee's presence--if only for a semester--will add some spice to a department which has sorely needed it for some time. It may even convince some students to give Afro-Am a second look as a possible concentration. Henry Louis Gates Jr., who motivated this event, did the right thing.

OF COURSE, Spike may not find the situation entirely to his liking when he gets here. For one thing, people of color are about as scarce on the Faculty of Arts and Sciences as they are on the wall's of Sal's Famous Pizzeria. For another life will still be a little lonely over in Afro-Am, despite the arrival of Gates and the crew of new junior faculty that may be on the horizon. It is, after all, the development of a solid, permanent faculty that would best serve Afro-Am. One-semester stints with stars are nice; long-term academic commitment is better.

And it's a sure bet that Lee's outspoken style and some of his more controversial directorial moves--such as his stereotypical portrayal of two Jewish nightclub owners in "Mo' Better Blues"--will cause something of a stir on the sensitive Harvard campus.

But all in all, Lee's relationship with Harvard will likely be a harmonious one--provided that Afro-Am makes the most of its newest recruit.

Lee will undoubtedly be as big a draw in the lecture hall as he is in the box office. The department should make sure that its new visiting lecturer has the chance to mix with the student body during his brief stay here. It should encourage Lee to teach a large- to medium-sized lecture course, rather than a small class limited to only a few students.

It should also encourage Lee to participate in activities outside of his class. The more he gets around, the more students will be encouraged to sample the offerings of a rejuvenated Afro-Am Department.

Lee's time at Harvard will undoubtedly be limited by his thriving career in film and commercial production. A word of advice to Afro-Am: make the most of this unique opportunity. Don't keep Lee closeted where no one can see him.

Please baby please baby please baby baby baby baby please.