Magazine to Examine Philosophical Questions

By Suruchi Chandra

While most student publications at Harvard address topical and timely issues, one new magazine aims to examine philosophical questions and issues that may not be of immediate political importance.

Andrew B. Kwiram '94 said he will begin publishing [Morosoph]--which means "learned fool"--in response to the lack of what he calls "general" magazines at Harvard. Kwiram said that while there are many specialty magazines in the areas of politics, international relations and the arts, "there is not much in the way that is interesting instead of topical."

Kwiram said he wants to avoid topics such as drugs and abortion, which are frequently discussed in current Harvard magazines. Instead, he wants to publish articles about ideas that do not fit in the already existing publications, he said.

"Interesting ideas are not confined to politics and poetry, so I would like to provide an eclectic and interesting forum for people to exchange all kinds of ideas," Kwiram said.

Kwiram said he may write an article proposing a "great book college" that would focus on one text, such as James Joyce's [Ulysses], and the history, religion and philosophy necessary to understand it. Other potential articles include an analysis of the Japan group ethic versus the American individual ethic and an interpretation of the biblical idea of God forming man in his image.

In addition to Kwiram, Eric J. Pan '94 and Steven W. Wardell '94 will edit the magazine. Kwiram said the publication will not have a staff of writers, but will instead rely on submissions from within the Harvard community.

Kwiram said he has received funding from the Freshman Dean's Office, and expects the publication to run on a relatively low-budget.

Pan said the first issue of Morosoph should be published in late March. "We're beginning to get commitments for ideas and articles," he said.

Pan said the magazine will likely contain eight to 10 articles. "As more people hear about it, we can increase its size," Pan said.