Linksters Place Third In Ivies

Golf

By Liz Resnick

The Harvard men's golf team came in third at the Ivy League Tournament held this weekend in Bethpage, N.Y. As with most of this weekend's athletic contests, the tournament was cut short due to inclement weather.

Yale captured the Ivy crown, shooting 601 over the tournament's 36 holes. The Elis also boasted the top individual scorer, Bob Heintz, who needed only 150 strokes (77-73--150) to complete the course.

The Big Green shot four strokes better than the Crimson (624) to capture second place. Harvard had counted on Yale and fourth-place Princeton to provide the stiffest competition, but Dartmouth was able to hold on to second place when the final 18 holes were cancelled due to heavy rain.

"Yale was very tought," junior Robert Kincaid said. "We were pleased to finish ahead of Princeton, but we were not happy to see Dartmouth take second place."

Each of the eight schools in the Ancient Eight sent five men to the Ivy Tournament and the top four scores per team in each round were counted toward the teams' composite scores. Harvard sent freshman Lou Body, juniors Dennis Crowley, Kincaid and David Miller, and senior Captain Mike Foster.

Both Foster, who finished in a tie for fourth with a 80-77--157, and Kincaid, the sixth man with 80-78--158, were among the top eight scorers and were named to the All-Ivy team. Body, who finished first at the Greater Boston Championship last week, shot 82-81--163, while Miller and Crowley compiled 87-78--165 and 84-91--175 scores, respectively.

"Everyone probably thinks they could have done better," Kincaid said. "But it was a very difficult course and it was much better than last year's seventh place finish."

One of the most disappointing displays was made collectively by the Ivy coaches who waited until almost 1 p.m. on Sunday to cancel the final 18 holes after deliberating for almost four hours at the course site.

"It had rained all night and there was no sign of it stopping," Kincaid said. "It was a huge display of ineptitude by the Ivy League coaches."

The Crimson will have a chance for a little revenge as it hosts Dartmouth and Brown, the eighth place finisher, at this weekend's tournament, on Tuesday at The Country Club in Brookline.