M. Heavyweight Crew Gains Capital Victories

By Sean Becker

If the Harvard men's heavy-weight crew team continues to dominate like it did this past weekend, it will soon compile more hardware than Dickson Brothers.

The Crimson further expanded its trophy case on Saturday by defeating Princeton and MIT to capture the Compton Cup in Washington, D.C. Harvard then returned to the course on Sunday to win its second consecutive Potomac International Regatta championship.

Harvard completed Sunday's 2000-meter final in 5:24, five seconds ahead of Brown and nine seconds ahead of third-place North-eastern. The victory had international significance since Cambridge and Oxford, billed as two of the pre-race favorites, failed to make the final. Wisconsin and UCLA, which were also preceded by impressive reputations, failed to make the final as well.

Despite the international billing, the regatta became a showcase for the Ivy League as Princeton and Brown joined the Crimson and Northeastern in the final. The Bruins, who had fallen to Harvard a week earlier, were viewed as Harvard's biggest threat.

"[Coach Harry Parker] told us before the race not to expect anything," Harvard's Owen West said. "He told us to go out aggressively and to dictate the race."

And dictate it did. Although Brown tried to throw the Crimson off stride with a quick start, Harvard remained even with the Bruins for the early part of the race. By the 500-meter mark, Princeton and Northeastern faded and Harvard was left to battle Brown and the course's heavy winds alone.

At the 1000-meter mark, the Crimson made a charge and opened up a one-length lead. With 500 meters left, Harvard put on one final sprint to widen its lead. The Crimson won the race by open water.

"Everyone was pretty focused," West said. "People rowed hard. We still have a long ways to go, but we did take a step up."